Have you ever eatten at Panda Express?
I love their orange chicken and have set out to make my own that is just as tasty and gluten free. I actually first set out to make a plum teriyaki chicken, but none of my grocery stores carried plum sauce! So I ran across this orange sauce while at the store and the idea was born. It is certifed gluten free too!
This dish is a MYOTO (make-your-own-take-out) dinner. It is a healthier version of what you would get at a take out place becuase it is grilled chicken and you control the salt and fat that goes into the dish. And you will have dinner on the table faster than the delivery man can get to your door.
I like things spicy so I put in a whole teaspoon of red pepper flakes, but if you are making this for your kids or others who don’t enjoy spicy things, you can cut it down to 1/2 teaspoon or even omit that ingredient all together.
Next time you feel like ordering some Chinese take out, make this Spicy Orange Glazed Chicken instead and you won’t have those feelings afterwards of “Oh my gosh I can’t believe I ate all of that and feel so awful!!” Or maybe thats just me??
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thigh, cut into one to two inch pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¾ cup orange sauce (about 8oz)
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and grated (on microplane grater)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (Lay Choy and Tamari are gluten free)
- ½-1 tablespoon red chili flakes
- cilantro, chopped for topping
- scallion, chopped for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large pan preheat the olive oil over medium heat. While the pan is heating, cut the chicken into pieces and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook chicken 3-4 minutes per side, just enough to brown it.
- While the chicken is browning, put the orange sauce, lemon zest and juice, grated ginger, soy sauce, and red chili flakes into a small sauce pan. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook for about 5 minutes to thicken.
- Once the sauce is thickened and chicken browned, pour the glaze into the pan of chicken and toss the chicken around in the sauce to evenly coat. Put pan into the oven and cook for 20 minutes.
- When chicken is done cooking toss with chopped cilantro and scallion. Serve over white or brown rice and drizzle extra sauce. Top with chopped cilantro and scallion.